Friday, February 13, 2009

Ballantine Trail / Pine Creek Loop Hike

My Photos here and other hike photos here.

Today started out as overcast and cool but the clouds cleared and it warmed into a beautiful day. In the distance Four Peaks and Mt Ord were covered by snow and quite beautiful. Our recent rain filled the creeks and the desert was very, very green. We saw a few small wildflowers. I am excited for the full on wildflower season. They said that last year the entire hill sides were yellow with wild flowers.

The hike was ten miles with a 1900ft elevation gain. We encountered some small patches of snow but nothing like what Huichi and I encountered on Sunday.

At one point we had to cross a creek. One of the hikers hide in the bushes and another let him know when someone else in the group was coming so he could get some candid water crossings. I think they were hoping that someone would fall in but everyone was more sure footed than that.

I did okay there as well but later when walking up the side of this steep hill I lost my footing and somehow plunged my arm into a bush of cat claw. There was blood but not much. I was able to stop it with pressure which was great because I didn't want to get my first aid kit out of my backpack.

Another funny thing was this sign giving directions. It was laying on the ground. Go figure - you could pick it up and point it in any direction. Since I was with people who had hiked the trail before I wasn't worried and this is exactly why I hike with the group because the trails and the markings in AZ can often be very vague.

I chose to wear pants because it was cool. I don't understand why they can't make hiking pants that fit properly. They are like the ultra hip huggers. They must be made for people who have enormous waists. I must not be the only one because there was a guy there hiking in short, shorts - these tiny, thin nylon running shorts. I should have got a picture of him.



Ballantine

Widget powered by EveryTrail: GPS Geotagging

No comments: