Monday, August 6, 2018

July 23 Hike to Minapata ​Mirador

We set out on what we thought was an easy day hike. First walking up through the plypeps trees. These trees have reddish peeling bark. They grow very slowly due to the high altitude and challenging conditions.

The terrain got steeper and soon we were clinging to tall grass and using it to pull ourselves up. Occasionally we crossed steep scree. It was hard work but we were rewarded with amazing views.
The walk back to camp was along the lake and pretty in its own way.



Back at camp we had an amazing lunch. It was called Coulda. It is kind of a sandwich but instead of bread a potato mixture is used. Aurelio,our chef, made it into hearts. Mine had a vegetable filling. It was really tasty



Birds played in the lake shallows. I walked back afterwards with my camera to take photos only to find that it was broken

At camp brave Irene went for a quick dip to clean up. Then we had a beer to celebrate our trip. A football / soccer game sprang up until it began to rain. A rainbow over the valley was lovely



Later we had dinner. I gave the kitchen my water bottles to fill and went to pee. Then it happened. I tripped liver the kitchen tent line. When I fell, I felt I felt my elbow dislocate.

Everyone tried to help but my arm was still in a lot of pain I tried to do my best with it. I debated if I should push the SOS button on my spot. With my arm wrapped, in a sling and anti inflammatories in my system I went to bed.

Sleep was not easy. Adrenaline, anxiety, pain and barking dogs were sleeps enemy. I think I got a little sleep.

No comments: