Monday, March 16, 2009

Mount Kimball Hike

I decided to hike Mount Kimball with the Sierra Club. The problem was getting to Tucson so early. Initially the hike was scheduled to start at 6:30am. That would mean that I would have to leave around 4:30am. That would have been quite a push yet doable. Luckily the hike time was changed to 8:15. There were a few people from Phoenix interested in going. Rebecca volunteered to drive and even offered to pay for gas. I took her up on the ride but I did help out with the gas. No one else from Phoenix wanted to get up early so we went on our own. We left at 6am. Luckily Rebecca also lives in Mesa so I met her at a location not far from my house.

The drive to Tucson was uneventful except for seeing three javalina crossing the road.

We arrived in Tucson early and hit McDonalds to use the facilities. That was a good thing as there were none at the trailhead. At the trailhead we met up with the hike leader (John) and three other hikers (Bill, Bill and Karen). We took two vehicles and went to the start of the hike Finger Rock Trailhead. There we began our long ascent to the top of Mt Kimball. The grade was quite steep all the way up (4500 ft) and exposed but we were blessed with clouds and a bit of rain. I was glad I packed that rain jacket. (The weather underground forecast didn't really show much chance of rain but when I looked at the hourly forecast it said 10% chance in the morning so I packed it. )

On the way up we found out that one of the hikers was a geologist and he gave us a run down on the area. He was also in his 70s and easily completed the hike. I know we all were hoping that we could complete a hike like that in our 70s. Two of the hikers had these neat little lightweight scopes. I think I have found something else to buy for my Nepal trip.

We saw a smattering of wildflowers on the hike and one very small snake. Our pace was a bit slower than I am used to but it allowed me to really see everything and get some good pictures.

The view from the top was fantastic. Although it was a bit windy and chilly up there. I lent my raincoat to one of the other hikers who had gotten wet in the rain.

The way down was very steep and everyone except John took a tumble at one point or another. There was blood here and there but nothing too serious. I do have to say that it seemed to go on and on. Towards the end Rebecca and I had to leave the group behind to get back to the car and drive back. We decided to take a little pee break on the trail so we could hit the road immediately and then noticed two people enjoying the sunset. So we went down a little further and peed and then wouldn't you believe it the same people came walking back down the trail. Luckily we both had our pants back up by this time.

As it was we didn't leave until 6:30ish and I didn't get home until 8:30pm after I stopped to get my sister's mail. The hike was well worth it however.

My iPhone battery didn't last the whole hike so the map is not quite complete but what it got is here. It is best to look at this in "terrain view". My full size photos are here.



Update: Here is a trip report and photos from another of the hikers (Bill). There are a couple of photos of me.

No comments: