Saturday, April 4, 2009

Heading off to Nepal

It's hard to believe that the day is finally here. I leave Phoenix at 5pm and board my long flight (17.5 hours) tonight at 11:10PM. I arrive in Bangkok early on Sunday. There I have a four hour layover before boarding a relatively short (3.5 hours) flight to Kathmandu. I arrive there in the early afternoon. I will try to get my permits and errands done in one day and leave the following day but it is likely that I will stay two nights to recover from the jet lag. This is the likely route I will take. I am hoping to do the Annapurna Circuit plus the Annapurna Sanctuary.

Today I have gone over my gear to try and get it just right. I don't want to take too much as I have to carry it on my back but I don't want to forget that one thing that might make my trip significantly more comfortable. Below is a list of what I am taking on this trip - including what I am wearing on the plane. I thought it might amuse you.
  • 3 pairs of underwear
  • 4 pairs of socks
  • 2 pairs of hiking pants (one pair convertible to shorts - however, it is not culturally appropriate for me to wear shorts)
  • rain jacket and rain pants
  • thermal underwear bottom and top (merino wool poly mix)
  • two short sleeve merino wool tops
  • one light-weight poly short sleeve top
  • one long sleeve merino wool top
  • another long sleeve top (either cotton or poly - not yet sure - as I am wearing it on the plane I have about another hour to decide)
  • fleece
  • down vest
  • hat
  • gloves
  • backpack cover
  • three water bottles
  • water purification tablets
  • ipod nano (with various music and audio books)
  • camera plus three extra batteries and four extra memory cards
  • lots of toilet paper (not available in most places on the trek)
  • Dr Bonners soap (18 uses including shampoo and clothes detergent)
  • toothbrush and toothpaste
  • medical kit (to be supplemented with antibiotic and giardia treatment in Nepal)
  • guidebook
  • composition book (for my manual blog)
  • Biology study book (to study for the next teacher exam I have to take)
  • pens
  • flip flops
  • water proof Keen hiking boots
It will be very warm humid jungle at the start of the trek and then freezing as I go over the high point. Apparently the lodges can be quite cold (no heating). You may have noticed that I have included lots of merino wool. It apparently doesn't hold smell. We will see how this holds up. I am not sure how many showers/ baths there are along the way. Not much else to say but wish me luck (no altitude sickness, no injury, no other sickness).

2 comments:

Erica said...

Save space, go commando...

Anonymous said...

Hiya Kris, have not had time to read blog lately but am looking forward to reading all about this trip next week while on holidays. Sent the letters to your USA address today. Sandy K