Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Nepal Trip Part 1

The trip to Nepal was long but there were minimal delays and Thai airways is a good airline to fly on. Getting through immigration was hectic at best. They were not organized and the people in front of me in line were not organized. Either they had not completed the application or they didn't have photos and they were holding everything up. Some poor guy asked me to save his place in line and then the line split twice. I didn't see him after that.

I was super glad to have arranged transport from the airport. I found my pickup easily and he took me back to the hotel. On the way he told me that the next day (today) there would be no taxis, buses and that many businesses would be closed due to fighting and police. I couldn't get much more out of him. I asked about going to Besishar where I planned to start the trek and he was unsure if I could go or not. At the hotel the manager told me that he could/ would organize my TIMS card, ACAP permit and bus ticket. (He also wanted to organize a porter or guide but I didn't go along with that).

I walked to the Himalayan Rescue Association and filed a paperwork for the US embassy in case of any problems. Already I could see that the traffic in Kathmandu was a bigger hazard than any I would meet on the trail. I made it safe and sound and also got some literature on AMS (altitude sickness).

Back at the hotel neither my ticket or permits had turned up after dinner so I asked for a wake up call and said I would collect them in the morning and hit the sack. The hotel was not too loud only a few barking dogs - an antihistimine and ear plugs fixed that up. I slept on and off until the morning. I woke before my wake up call (which was actually a knock on the door) and was away at 6:30am for the bus. (My tickets and permits were ready when I went downstairs).

The taxi driver to the bus station was worried that the bus would not run and sure enough when we got there no bus. It was canceled due to the problem that day. It was still not clear to me exactly what the problem was but I did see a heavy police presence on the streets. The taxi driver helped me change my ticket and it was back to the hotel. There I found out the problem was some kind of strike. People really didn't seem to know the cause only that there might be fighting (outside of the tourist area of Thamel that I am staying in). Luckily they had a room for me. I went up to the roof top garden and spent some time there. It was very pretty but there were not really views of the mountains due to the haze/ pollution.

I had a big lunch of spinch and tofu curry plus some potato things. It was really good. Then took an afternoon nap (probably a bad idea).

There are frequent power cuts here but many places have backup generators so there is at least light if the power goes out.

Well I will try it all again in the morning. Hopefully my trek will start then with a bus ride to Besishar (local bus because no tourist bus goes there). Then a jeep up to Bhulebhule. I am not sure how long this will take but I anticipate a minimum of 8 hours so the walking may not begin until the next day.

3 comments:

Matt Wakefield said...

I miss traveling, sounds like fun! What's the fighting about? I thought they cleared that up with the coup and the royals stepping down...

Erica said...

Your off to an exciting start. Looking forward to your next update.

loafer said...

hey Matt, you're right...Nepal became a republic last year...and the Maoists lead the coalition govt..so officially the Maoist War has come to an end...of course due to present political instability, you don't know when you'll have to enjoy a strike...sometimes for days...it's called New Nepal dude!