Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pokara

April 25
On the way to Pokara my taxi driver let me know that today is the Mother's Festival (equivalent to Mother's Day). He also told me why it is so hazy. There are many fires burning. In one multiple army officers were killed trying to get it under control. It turns out that fires are common at this time. Some are accidental. Others are set to clear land or stimulate regeneration in the jungle.

Pokara is situated on Lake Fewa. The area of Pokara that most people stay in is Lakeside and that is where I plan to stay.

Despite being hungry, hot and tired I spent a bit of time looking around for a place to stay in Pokara. There are something like 700 hotels there. I finally got a reasonably priced one (200 rupees) with an attached bath. The only downside was the disco behind it but I figure that is what ear plugs are for. Also it doesn't stay open past 11 pm so if I am tortured it won't be all night like I have been in Mexico.

April 26
I took a boat across the lake early in the morning as the sun was rising. There were so many egrets in the bamboo. I have never seen that many in one place. The ride took about 10 minutes and cost 250 rupees. The irony here is that you could rent a boat and driver for an hour for the same. I hiked up the side of the mountain to the Peace Pagoda. The views were nice on the way up but the mountains were obscured by haze. The Peace Pagoda was fairly impressive. After reaching the top and checking it out, I headed down the other side to visit the Tibetan Refugee Village. I found the village and bought a few souvenirs hoping that the money went to the refugees. From there I continued on to see Devi Falls. However, at a point I figured I has passed them. I asked and it turned out that I was right. Since I heard there was no water in the falls I didn't double back. Instead I continued on past the Fewa Lake dam into Pokara.

Once back I bought a new skirt and shirt to change into later. It would be good to be in some clothes other than my hiking gear. I also bought my ticket for Chitwan NP. There is a strike in the area but apparently the tourist buses are still able to get through.

From Pokara

At sunset I went down by the lake. The sun was quite red as it set due to the haze from the fires. There were a bunch of water buffalo taking a bath while I was down there. A woman went out in a boat to herd them in. Then one went onto the Palace grounds (now occupied by the army). A soldier with a gun helped herd it back. It was funny.

Water Buffalo Bathing from kris on Vimeo.


April 27
Today I walked north of town. It was quite a nice walk. I saw lots of birds - egrets, kingfishers, vultures, etc. The lake was calm and still. It seemed less polluted than around Fewa. Walked out into a field and got some pretty closeup video of water buffalo taking a bath.The rest of the day was spent marking time waiting to leave for Chitwan the next morning.

Click here for full size photos or watch the slide show below.

No comments: