Saturday, August 15, 2009

Siyeh Pass - Awesome, Wet and Cold

Check out the photos here

I woke up today and didn't want a repeat of yesterday - sitting around all day because of bad weather. I decided I would hike or leave. After a quick look at the weather I decided I could probably get a hike in before it started raining again. (Remind me never to take a job as a meteorologist)

I drove up to St Mary checking out the clouds as I went. They did look threatening but I figured I could hike fast and beat them. When I got to the trailhead, the ranger led hike was grouping up. I thought I would pass them on the trail but I never did. Later I found out that they canceled the hike.

The hike up started along Siyeh Creek which was pretty and then went through forest. There were lots of flowers. Later it came out in a valley with views of the mountains around Logan Pass. I also passed by a glacier. There were several lakes at the base of Siyeh Mountain. They were different colors which I find odd. I went up and up and finally reached the pass. There I had some great views down three different valleys - the one I came through, one that angled north east and the one that I would walk out in. There was also a huge glacier. It was on the Going to the Sun Mountain (I think). This was certainly one of the best views I had of a glacier in the park until it was obscured by cloud. At this point I probably should have hightailed it out but I took my time taking photos of the valleys, glacier and sheep.

It soon started to rain accompanied by thunder and lightening. The rain was unrelenting and by the time I exited the trail I was very, very wet and cold. Unfortunately, the shuttle didn't come for quite a long time making things worse. Finally back in my car I cranked up the heat. My feet must have been really cold because they hurt as they warmed up.

On the way back to East Glacier I found new snow on the road.

I am going to head out in the morning. I am sad to leave Glacier National Park. I have had such a good time here and there are many more things I would like to do but I have a feeling that it is time to move on. I am glad that I got to do Siyeh Pass even though it was a bit uncomfortable.

Check out the photos here

No comments: