Monday, August 1, 2016

Haute Route Final Day - Europaweg

It was a steep climb (but isn't it always in Switzerland) up to the viewpoint at Grat. On the way up I saw two groups of Chamois. I was lucky to see the first one because it was moving fast. In fact I actually heard them before seeing them.   There was also a nice view of the Reid glacier.  I could see the Matterhorn in the distance. 



After Grat the terrain became more challenging with immense drop offs, scree, falling rock/ ice hazards and boulders to deal with. These I knew about. What I didn't know about were the goats. Not only were they knocking rocks down in my general direction, they also made weird noises ate and got in my personal space. At one point they were leading me down the trail. Then they were following me down the trail until I got to a section that so eroded that there was not much trail left. There was a rope across it to make it feel more secure. 

The rest of the trail included a number of obstacles such as falling rocks to avoid, large boulders to clamber over, eroded trail, possibly rotten wooden walkways, very exposed trail, worn and broken ropes along the trail and a suspension bridge. 



The positives were great views of the Weisshorn, the Matterhorn in the distance and  the Hobarg glacier above me. 

I had a quick snack of berry apple cake and diet coke at the Europa Hut. I could see the very long unusable suspension bridge in the distance.  Then walked down into Randa and took the train to Zermatt because the next section of the Europaweg was closed. 

No comments: