Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Another great day

There were so many highlights of today that I don't know where to start. I hiked out from Bear Lake intending to do a big loop. That didn't happen because I got to an area with so much snow that I didn't know where to go. I still had some amazing views and put in some early morning miles especially the back and forth miles trying to pick up the trail. When I got back to the trailhead there was a truck with two lamas. It turns out that the park service in RMNP uses them to carry stuff for trail repair. How cool is that?  

Since I had some extra time I headed up to the Uts trail which was originally used by the Ute Indians. It is above the tree line and had many miniature flowers that grow in the tundra. The flowers had strong fragrance even though they were small. I am sure that is because they have a short growing season and need to pollinate quickly.   There were also several cute as can be marmots along the trail. 

From there I drove along Trail Ridge which is a road. I saw many elk including males with the velvet antlers and females with calves. 

I headed into Grand Lake and lucked into a hostel that is on a big cliff overlooking the lake. Tomorrow it is off to Verna Lake and maybe Spirit Lake. I hope I see a moose. 

No comments: