Monday, June 27, 2016

Grand Teton National Park Days 1 and 3


I rolled into GTNP around 7 am. I took a few photos of the amazing photos and then headed for the camp store to buy some bear spray. Bear spray is carried in case you encounter an ornery bear. It is strong pepper spray and acts as a deterrent. It is not worn like insect repellent.

I then hit the visitor center to check conditions. They were not overly informative except to tell me that where I planned to hike is an area where bears are often seen which I didn't know. 

I headed out and did a long (15ish) mile hike with little elevation gain. I saw lots of flowers and few people and no bears. It was a good hike. 

I accessed wifi at the Jackson Lodge and showered at Coulter Bay. I lucked out because I got there at 5:27 and the last payment for showers was at 5:30.  

Today I planned something a bit longer. It was a 19mile hike with moderate elevation gain up to Solitude Lake. I didn't take the water shuttle.   I left before 6am and only saw a few people on the trail coming back. I saw a number of wildlife - deer, pika, moose, marmots, etc.  I had solitude at Solitude Lake which was great. The lake was semi frozen and it was so pretty. 

As I left one other couple arrived and I saw many more in their way up as I descended. Glacier lilies covered the hillside and it was beautiful. I saw a marmot chomping on them filling his stomach after the long winter. 

Farther on I saw a group of people who had seen a bear but it was gone before I got there. I saw a bull moose one the way out in Cascade Canyon. Unfortunately Hidden Falls was closed but I could see it gushing in the distance. 

I took the horse trail home which is a bit higher than the normal trail. That was nice but it entailed a bit more climbing. 

I treated myself to dinner at Dornans  and somehow got in just before the line started 

Tomorrow I plan to go up to ampitheater lake. I might go check out the beavers tonight but I also might just rest 

No comments: