Friday, August 4, 2017

Day 29 No matter what it takes I will get to Venice

After alot of road walking yesterday, I noticed that the map showed a slighly different route than the book and GPX. I asked the hotel manager about it and he siad that he preferres to walk on the West side of the like the map showed. In the morninf that is the way that I went. (FYI The Daaldo hotel is NOT air conditioned. I wouldn't recommend it if you value a good night's sleep)

The walk was pretty. I saw muskrats ( or maybe rats) swimminf in the river I saw a couple of huge herons. All seemed to be going well. Then I met a gentleman who asked me where I was headed. I told him Venice and gave him the name of the ferry terminal that I was headed for to get ti Venice. He seemed worried about this and told me the trail terminated in 3 km. He pointed to a busy road and seemed to want me to go that way. It was very unclear what he was telling me and he didnt want to tupe into Google Translate. Since he was local I made a decision to get to the other side of the river. Now you may have just jumped to the conclusion that I swam across the river but no. The busy road had an overpass above the trail and the river. I scrambled up the side of it on all fours, hopped the fence, walked on the road and then scrambled down the otherside.

I walked on the levee for a ways and then on the road and back to the levee. After a ways I came to some Vietnamese type fiahing nets. Some were of modest size but some were enormous. It's a wonder there are any fish left in that river.



Eventually I came to a busy road and a bridge. I crossed the bridge on the road and then dis another road walk to a campground on the Adriatic Sea. It was kind of neat to put my feet in. From there it was a ten minute walk across the sand ( well maybe longer as I had back tracked and gone down a deas end road before I realized that I needes the sandy walk). Then up through a deluxe campground with pristine pools.

From there to the ferry terminal it was a walk on a paves bicycle trail right next to the road to the ferry terminal. The streets were lines with shops selling flip flops, hats, floats and all things beachy. I would have to say that this was probably the low point of the trip for me. I walked to the end on sheer will and determination (and sore feet as well as an aching collarbone - my pack had made two ugly marks on it).

Thats the end of the whine. The good news is that as soon as I bought my ferry ticket the boat loaded and I was off to Venice. I got there in the middle of the day with hoards of others. I walked to Piazza San Marco. Then I walked back to the pier and bought a vaporetto (water bus) ticket for unlimited trips for three days. Then I took a vaporetto to my hostel on Giudecca. It was just as hot there but hardly any people.

I arrived around 1 but was told that I couldn't check until 2. I left my bag and walked down to the supermarket. I was not in great shape (overheated, sore feet, rash) and it seemed like an eternity to get there but it was just a five minute walk.

I checked in and took a shower and felt much better. After a nap I went out and explores the Rialto Bridge area.

Distance: 16 miles

Overall Distance: 569km(352 miles)
Elevation up: 30290 m (almost 100,000ft)

I will post the complete spot gps track when I get home.


Photos at https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI
This is is my track for the last seven days
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0ZqguMWq0nIVvMudyEDQOcLFQgoN7hGXc

No comments: