Friday, August 4, 2017

Venice

Mike and Vanessa, my Canadian trail friends, and I met again in Venice. Together we wandered to streets of Venice. Then we took a water bus out to Murano Island where I mistakenly thought the colorful fishing homes were. Murano is an island with a tradition of blowing glass. We watched a very interesting free demonstration. There were three men involved in the process. They each had jobs along the way. The glass was heated in a super hot furnace. Then it was worked a bit to shape it and it was blown. Next it was put in colored glass and silver. It was reheated and the shaping contines. At some point another piece of glass can be added to give it as a handle. We saw two or three pieces worked. By the time we left that room, sweat was running out of every pore in our bodies.

From there we went over to the cemetary island. We walked around and looked how death is handled in Venice. There isn't alot of ground so the bodies placed in tall stone structures above ground. This probably also helps in times of flooding. Multiple bodies are in each structure - sort of stacked up and side by side.

From there we took two more water buses to Burano. Finally our tickets were checked so we could be glad we did the right thing and bought the multi-day pass. The houses on Burano were so pretty. They are all painted in different bright colors. There were lots of people and the sun was high so my photos did not turn out as well as I would have liked. We walked around and then walked to the next island over by crossing a bridge. There we walkwd through a vegetable/ sculpture garden with a michlen star restaurant and a vineyard. The prices were out of our budget.

From there we returned to Venice and went to look for the climate change scilpture of two arms reaching up out of the grand canal. We found it and took a few photos under it. Then we went up the canal and got on a water bus sonwe could take a photo going past it. We got off on the other side of the canal and saw the remnants of the Rialto Mercado (it is a morning market). We also took a few more sculpture photographs.

After that I headed back to the hostel. As I had made two different reservations I had to check out in the AM and put my luggage in the luggage room. I wasn't allowed to check back in until after 2. It was about 4 so I would be able to get my new bed.

I met Mike and Vanessa for dinner. We wandered around the Rialto area and eventually decided on a pizza place for dinner. Then we all rode a water bus to San Marco together. It was very pretty with the lights on the water. We said our goodbyes there. I hope I see them again. We had lots of fun together.

Then I took a water bus back to the hostel. That ride was also pretty. I am really glad that I had the chance to do that at night.

No comments: