Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Day 28 A Long Hot Walk to Jesolo

Leaving the hotel at 5:30 the temperature was fairly comfortable. I applied insect replellent before I left so I thought that I would have few hold ups. However, after about 10 minutes I had to stop. The Spot had a red GPS light. I did a bit if research and realized that I had finally run low on batteries. I had expected this to happen after two weeks and I thought it would be completely dead. I had another set if batteries so it was just a matter of digging them out of my backpack (there were towards to bottom).

The sunrise was very beautiful as I walked.
I walked on levees most of the morning. Unfortunately, I was kind of in the zone and missed turnoffs two separate times. This didn't cause me to be lost but I did put in some extra miles. That was not needed on a 19 mile day. Along the way I passed an area that Hemmingway spent part of his war days on the frontline. He fell in love with a nurse during this time and wrote a novel about it.

Most if the firat part of the day was pretty non-descript. Eventually I did walk past some pretty intersting sights.

There was a bridge that opens to let ships through. I believe it was there during the war but I couldn't read the sign

There was also a poontoon bridge. It was placed over a number of boats to support it. For vehicles there was a 1€ toll but pedestrians didn't nees to pay.

Finally there was also a Roman or Middle Age building that was used to control canal traffic. Legend has it that San Romauldo lived there in the 10th century. A farmer created the relief on the side if the building with the initials SR and two sheep and a shepard to commemorate that. The building was also to collect a toll from rafts and barges that navigated the wayerway.

Along the river I saw egrets, cormorants, ducks and swans. I also saw a big praying mantis.

The days was exceedingly hot. It was above 90 when I finally arrived in Jesolo. The hike today was probably 20 miles with the navigational errors along the way.



I will be glad to arrive in Venice tomorrow. My feet are shot and I have some kind of a rash (perhapa a reaction to the insect repellent or heat rash).

Photos at https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI
This is is my track for the last seven days
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0ZqguMWq0nIVvMudyEDQOcLFQgoN7hGXc

No comments: