Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sydney Found

Holidays
This week was a short week at school due to Easter. Here in Australia Good Friday is a holiday. There are also two more days off called Easter Monday and Easter Tuesday. Not everyone has Tuesday off but teachers and students do. I think that one of the reasons I am getting out so much later this year (Dec 19) is that we have these days off during the term. Usually they fall during the two weeks I have off at the end of the first term.

Sydney
An Australian warship named the Sydney and 645 crew members were lost in WWII in the ocean north of here. There is a big memorial here. Until this week the final resting place of the Sydney was unknown. This week the Australian ship and the German ship that sank it were found near Shark Bay.

Aussie Rules Football
After being asked to set up an online tipping (betting) competition for the football season, I found that someone else at school had set one up. In the end the other teacher agreed to handle the money side and use the comp that I set up. Somehow I have ended up in this competition. I know even less about AFL than US football if that is possible. My results so far are 2/5 correct. I don't think I will be making much money on this.

St Paddy's Day
Last Sunday a warm up for St Paddy's Day was advertised so a friend and I decided to go to the Freo to see what was happening. We asked at the bar and the had no idea of what was going on despite the advertisement. We had a few drinks but nothing much seemed to be happening. Monday we had Parent Night at school. As I have no students I thought it would be pretty boring but instead I worked with a few teachers on using a virtual body web site. Later a couple of teachers and I went out for a drink. They had the loudest fiddlers ever there. I left after a beer as I had to be up early the next day.

Computer Problems
This week was plagued by ongoing computer issues at school. It is pretty much out of my hands but I still bear a bit of the teachers' unhappiness when they plan lessons on the computers and they just don't work.

Geraldton Dog Rescue(GDR)
A few weeks ago I signed up to be a volunteer for GDR. It entails housing a dog after they have been at the pound the maximum time. You house them until a new home is found. This week I received a call asking if I could take in Nikki - a small chihuahua. You can see a few photos of her here. She is kind of strange to me because she is so small - smaller than a large cat. She has a hurt shoulder so she can't walk or play. She has big expressive eyes. Brody, my nephew, says that he picks dogs he likes based on their eyes. I bet he would have liked this one. Unfortunately, he probably would have blown up like a balloon because of his allergies. Well, Nikki lived with me two days and then escaped. I am not sure how. She must have squeezed through the fence. The GDR people said not to worry. It happens all the time. That is how the dogs end up in the pound in the first place. Sometimes after they escape someone finds them and then keeps them or calls the pound or GDR. A worst case scenario is that she could get hit by a car. I hope she is well.

No comments: