Monday, July 13, 2015

Ptarmigan Tunnel



Today started with some awesome animal sightings on the way to the trailhead.  I saw a moose on the side of the road and two red foxes right in the road.  Unfortunately, my camera was in the back with my backpack so no photos.  I hiked out of Many Glacier up to Ptarmigan Tunnel.  

  • The Ptarmigan Tunnel was built in 1930 through the Ptarmigan Wall at an elevation of 7,200 feet (2,200 m) in Glacier National Park, near Many Glacier. The 250-foot (76 m) tunnel allows hikers to avoid a strenuous climb over very steep terrain between Many Glacier and the Belly River valley. Two opposing steel jackhammers drilling from either side of the tunnel and a series of ten-hole rounds of dynamite gradually broke through the mountain in less than three months. A wide area, originally for guide and tourist horses, extends from each portal with a masonry retaining wall. Natural rock lines the interior walls. Heavy iron doors were hung across the tunnel aditsduring the summer of 1975. They remain open from mid-July until October 1, weather permitting. The 250 feet (76 m) long tunnel is a unique man-made feature in Glacier. This trail tunnel embodies exceptional qualities of landscape architecture and engineering in a pedestrian-scaled tunnel, cut through a sheer mountain wall. The portals frame spectacular views.[2] (per wiikipedia)


On the way I startled a young chick (shown above).  I choose to think it is a ptarmigan but it is probably a grouse.  Its mother was none to happy and stalked me down the trail telling me off (also shown above).  Soon she figured I was no threat and headed off into the vegetation.  I continued on the trail.

The weather was cool and it was cloudy.  Soon it started to lightly rain but there was not much to it.  I hiked up to the lake and then up to the tunnel.



I went through to the other side and had some beautiful views of Elizabeth lake.  It was chilly and I soon headed back the way that I came.  I spotted a marmot chowing  down on some flowers on my way back by Ptarmigan Lake and saw some goats high above me on the cliffs.  As I made my way down the trail I startled couple told me that they had just come across a moose on the trail.  They warmed me to hide behind trees if it charged.  A couple of more minutes and I came across three more people who had seen the moose.  However, he seemed to have enough of human company because I was unable to spot him.  I travelled on and met more people.  One was very worried about grizzlies.  He had seen some "grizzly scat".  He was sure it was from a grizzly from what it contained.  I kept an eye out on my way down but all I saw was horse manure.  I guess he was a little confused.  

Many people were heading out on the trail now.  I moved aside to let them pass as they have the right of way (uphill).  One guy let me know that there was a moose just a little farther on.  I kept my fingers crossed and sure enough I saw it and this time I got a photo.  My moose dry spell is offiically over.


As I was almost done I came across a fairly worried father who asked me if I had seen his son hiking alone in a funny hat.  I told him I had not.  Then he sent his other son down towards the Swiftcurrent Lodge (probably to look for said missing son).   As I reached the end of my journey I saw a boy in a green hat walking along listening to music on his iphone or other device.  I asked him if he by chance was looking for his family and if his father would consider his hat funny looking.  Sure enough it was the missing boy.  I gave him information about where is father was and showed him the way to the trailhead.  That was the end of a very nice hiking day. 






No comments: