Friday, July 24, 2015

Stage 1 Les Houches to Les Contamines

I


We got an early start -6:30ish- to try to beat the thunderstorms. Yesterday it poured. The hike started with a step ascent. We had stellar views of the valley and looming glaciers. There were also cute horses, sheep, goats, and cows with huge Bella to help us keep our minds off the unrelenting ascent. 

We decided to take the "high route" increasing our ascent tremendously. However, the payoff was tremendous. As we climbed past the Bonaissey glacier and walked over a very fun swinging bridge. We climbed further and dropped down to Refuge Miage. 



Refuge Miage has places to sleep but also serves lunch. We had some amazing omelettes under towering mountains draped in stunning glaciers. It was almost surreal. Then came our last climb of the day.




We walked past Chalet Truc which also serves food and had places to stay.  There were cows everywhere. Perhaps they make cheese there as well. We walked for another hour or so to our final destination of Les Contramines. Along the way we meet a nice guy who showed us wild berries. 


He was actually my savior because I had left my poles behind and I didn't know where. I was going to leave them when he comes skipping down the road with them. I was so happy that I hugged him. 

12.5 miles and 4600 feet after we started we finished stage 1 - tired and happy.  See the map here - http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0Hyef36dl0oq3lZZpQ44jzXeKWtLH6TzK 




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so loving your blog and pictures. What an exciting time! Also, Leah's pictures came through today. Beautiful country, and everything. All is good here. Take care, and I am looking forward to more info and pics. Fran