Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Washington DC

Day 1 of the adventure could have gone more smoothly. It began as the clerk at my hotel seemed to not understand why I wanted to leave certain valuables in the office versus my car. I had asked the evening clerk about this and he seemed to think it was a great idea. Well as soon as that got settled I wanted to board the shuttle and go to the airport. I was informed that the driver was sleeping and that there normally wasn't a 6am shuttle. I nicely explained that the evening clerk told me to take the 6am shuttle. That didn't go over well. Eventually the sleeping driver showed up and we got the show on the road. Initially I felt that the late start would have no effect. However after entering the terminal and checking my bags I overheard that security was very slow. In fact I was initially unable to find the end of the line as it continues down the terminal as it transitioned from A to B. Eventually I found the end only to be told to
Move down to the next security line. I experienced the same problem there as it snaked first in one direction and then another. I found the end and moved slowly through the line past the sniffer dogs. They seemed to eliminate the need to take off shoes which speeded up the line somewhat. I made it to the gate with time to spare. 

The flight to DC was crowded but uneventful. There I met up with Leah and we waited for the next flight to Geneva. We boarded the plane and about 40 min later were told there was a mechanical problem and the flight would be delayed   Eventually we were off loaded from the plane. What followed was a series of false promises about when the flight would depart. At one point we considered taking another flight but we're worried about the loss of luggage which would be dire as it held all of our hiking gear. We asked for as received travel vouchers and had some yummy vegetarian pizzas. At this point I found out that Leah is as picky an eater as I am. That was super funny. Eventually the flight was cancelled and we were given vouchers for a hotel. All in all we both kept pretty good attitudes and are ready to start the adventure when we can. Since some people really lost the plot we did okay and the hotel even gave us a toothbrush and toothpaste. Goodnight and hopefully there will be a more exciting installment next time

No comments: