Monday, January 7, 2008

Mt Cook to Akaroa

I spent a couple of days in Christchurch on my way to Akaroa. After spending so much time in smaller places it was kind of a shock to be in a city. I didn't do much just a bit of shopping. I am still looking for the perfect present for my sister for her birthday. I came across a few things that I like and will get one of them when I return to Christchurch.

I took a shuttle out to Akaroa on Sunday. The weather was good so I did a short hike in the surrounding hillsides.

I went to the Cinema Cafe and saw Sweet Land in the evening. It was a very small cinema and you could buy food and drinks there. I had a beer while I watched the movie.

Today I start the Banks Peninsula Track. I get picked up at 5:45PM to be taken to the first night's accomodation. Tomorrow is the first day of walking. I was go for a hike today but it is raining - better today than tomorrow is all I can say. The temperature today is supposed to be a bit warm but a southerly wind is coming in later today which will cool it off for my first day of walking tomorrow.

I have put a few photos here.

I read in the paper today that a dead tramper (hiker) was found in Mt Cook National Park. It makes me glad that I decided to turn back at Sealy Tarns that day and try for Mueller Hut the next day. Despite the fact that my legs, knees and hips were feeling a bit sore after that.

No comments: