Thursday, January 3, 2008

Queenstown to Mt Cook

I was happy to leave Queenstown. It was an overcrowded mess for New Year's Eve. New Year's Day was a beautiful clear day. The bus driver stopped and let us take pictures as we passed the Lake Pukaki Lookout of Mt Cook.

Since I couldn't get into Mt Cook until Jan 2, I spent the night in a town called Tekapo named after the nearby lake - Lake Tekapo. The lake has a beautiful blue cool from the silt of the glacier. I had a big day of laundry and then I walked up to the top of Mt John where there is an observatory. Lake Tekapo apparently has very clear skies.

The backpacker I stayed at was very nice. I ended up sharing a twin room with another girl due to a booking error. That was really nice.

The bus trip to Mt Cook the next day was more like a tour. The driver owns the company (Mt Cook Connections) and he told me all about the area on the way up to Mt Cook. We also stopped for a number of photo opportunities. It was great.

I got to Mt Cook around and headed out to hike to Hooker Lake. It was a clear day and I had some beautiful views of the surrounding mountains and glaciers.

On the way home I stopped at the Mountaineer Bar that had a sign up that said "Happy Hours Daily". I asked what time Happy Hour started. The answer was that there would be no happy hours because it was a public holiday (Jan 2 - a big holiday around the world - SARCASM). Being a smart ass I said "So the sign is actually a lie". That didn't go over very well.

The next day I planned to hike up to Mueller Hut. However, the weather wasn't very good when I got up. The wind was howling and it was raining. The weather forecast said that it would ease during the day so I go a 24 hour wireless account. This stopped working and the YHA that I was staying at couldn't contact anyone. It looked as though it was going to be a waste of money. In the meantime, the weather started looking as though it might improve. I geared up to go out. As I went out it started raining. I retreated and read my book for awhile.

It looked more promising later (12:30) so I went out. The hike I wanted to do takes approx 8 hours. I decided that I would monitor conditions. If they weren't favorable I would turn back. I hiked up to Sealy Tarn. It was a steep rocky hike up the side of the mountain. A cloud hung over the area that I knew that I was hiking to. The wind was so strong at times I worried about being blown off the mountain. I did have good views of Mueller Glacier and the glacier on Mt Sefton.

At Sealy Tarn I had to decide if I would go on to Mueller Hut. It started raining as I was trying to make my decision. I had plenty of energy to go up but I didn't want to come down climbing over slippery rocks in the rain. Larry, Lori and Dustin and I had a conversation on the Kepler Track about bad decisions leading to bad situations. I decided that Muelller Hut would keep. I could try the next day or next year if I come back here with my family. It is a truly spectacular area.

I know that I made the right decision because on the way down it continued to rain. The cloud stayed over the mountain even though other areas of the area were clear. I was almost blown over when I got to the bottom of the hill.

I did go to happy hours on this non-holiday day. It was lucky because they have the same wireless service so I was able to connect there with the same account that I had set up at the YHA so no need to pursue a refund. Yeah!!!!

On the way back to the YHA I saw a family of paradise ducks. The little baby ducks were so CUTE.

I talked to a couple of people at the YHA and they said that the weather at the Tasman Glacier was great. I may head out there in the AM to hike around Blue Lakes and up to Ball Hut.

Check out the photos here.

I can't believe that I am leaving in less than two weeks. SO SAD !!!

I am off to Christchurch next and then on to Akaroa soon after.

No comments: