Sunday, June 21, 2009

Glacier National Park

It was a long drive to Glacier and rainy most of the way. I stayed in a hotel in Butte on the way up. I picked up a new pair of hiking boots in the Missoula REI. Both of my Keens have developed deterioration in the heel causing pain and bleeding. You gotta love REI who take back all merchandise. I was able to get a more expensive pair of boots for the two pairs but I am not happy about hiking in boots that aren't broken in.

I got a call from my sister as I was about to enter the park. A school had called about a position. This is very annoying because I contacted HR and they put a note in my file to contact me by cell phone. There is only spotty cell service in the National Park but I did call the school three times. They didn't bother to call back. No worries.

From Glacier National Park I


I tried to break in my boots on a short walk around the lake. The next morning I hiked up to Apgar Lookout. I had a great view and met another solo hiker (Mark) who wanted to hike later in the day so we agreed to meet at Avalanche Lake at 2:00. However, by 2:00 is was quite rainy. I didn't wait and left without him. Not very nice I suppose. It was a good hike but would be much better on a clear sunny day. I drove up the rest of the Going to the Sun Road after the hike (mostly to use the car heater to dry myself off). When I got back into cell reception I realised Mark had called a couple of times.

The next morning I decided to take my wet tent to East Glacier and try out Brownies youth hostel there. For one it would be dry. For another it costs only $13 vs $20 for a campsite. Also it has showers, internet, cell service and laundry which the campgrounds don't. I texted Mark and told him I would be hiking at Two Medicine at noon and apologized for not waiting for him yesterday. The weather was great. I stopped by Running Eagle falls on the way in. When I got to the hike meeting place Mark was there and he was understanding about the day before. We hiked with a Park naturalist and a group of others. There were some awesome waterfalls (Rockwell and Aster). Mark and I hiked up to Aster view point as well. It had great views. A really good day!

Check out full size photos here or see the slideshow below




No comments: