Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Very Friendly Moose

I have been hiking everyday and loving it.  However, the best hike I have done so far has to be Cracker Lake in the Many Glacier region of Glacier National Park.  Just to be fair I will mention the other hikes I have done - Cobalt Lake (Two Medicine area), Swiftcurrent Nature Hike (Many Glacier area) and Virginia/Mary/ Baring Falls in the Mary Lake area.  They all had highlights and were all pretty.

Cracker Lake starts out a bit poorly as it is on a horse trail and you are walking on a churned up trail with horse manure.  However, after 1.7 miles there are no more horses.  It climbs steadily and then turns a bit roly/ poly with up and down bits.  You see some pretty waterfalls and lots of wildflowers but the jewel is Cracker Lake itself which is a brilliant turquoise color.  As I approached the end of the trail I saw several fluffy marmots.  I was busy chasing them to get there photo when I noticed a moose down by the lake.  
From Cracker Lake

I watched it as it got ever closer to me.  Then it kind of trotted in my direction in what I would describe as a curious manner.  However, after going to a number of ranger talks it has been drilled into my head that moose are dangerous and can charge you and harm you which their hooves so I looked for a bit of cover.  There was  not much - a tangle of small trees and some rocks.  I jumped into the trees.  After awhile I came out and as soon as the moose saw me it headed my way again.  This time I hid behind a rock.  The moose kind of moved into the trees and looked around.  I watched the marmots on the rocks and the goat on the hillside.  After awhile I came out and didn't see the moose anywhere.  I took some pictures of the lake and the area around it and then went over to the big rocks to look down on the trail that I walked in on.  I saw the moose swimming across the lake.  Figuring I was safe I headed down the trail.  Interestingly the moose headed down on the other side of the creek flowing from the river.  I watched it for a long time.  After I finished walking down the trail, I went to the ranger office and explained what happened.  The ranger said that the moose likely was attracted to either the salt on my skin or maybe my sunscreen.  He also said that you know when a moose is charging you as it acts very aggressive.  Anyway it was a very interesting encounter.   Just after that I had lunch with a deer that wasn't at all scared by me.  

Cracker Lake Photos

Cobalt Lake and Lake Mary Area Photos

No comments: