Monday, July 6, 2009

Pitamaken Pass

From Pitamakan Pass


Amy was leading a hike to Oldman lake and I decided to go up again and see what changed in a week. Funnily enough although Steve wasn't there this week, another Steve showed up to hike. We went at a stiff pace but another hiker named Cyrus caught up with us. Luckily he did because I had dropped my bear spray and he found it and returned it to me. Since bear spray cost $44 I was very happy about that.

After we hiked up to Oldman lake in record time we decided to attempt Pitamakan Pass and maybe do the Pitamakan/ Dawson Loop. There was still alot of snow on the trail in certain places and I took a slide down one place. The view from the top was awesome. We could see lots of gorgeous lakes.
From Pitamakan Pass


From Pitamakan Pass



We could also see the trail going on and it had alot of snow on it. If you slipped up there, you would go a long way down the steep scree slope. It didn't look too good to me and we decided to head back the way we came. Steve took a bit of a slide on the way down but generally it was okay.

I got a blister and it popped on the way back providing a painful last mile or so. It was a long day 17 miles or so. The whole loop Pitamakan and Dawson would only have been a mile or so more. I can't wait to try it after the snow finally melts

No comments: