Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Two Medicine Pass revisited

I got up very early and set out for the ranger office to get some more backcountry camping permits. I ended up driving in following the ranger in to the park. This time I got out of my car and waited by the door in the chilly morning. I ended up getting permits to go over Gunsight Pass and go to Lake Ellen Wilson. It will be a hard first day and a very light second day.

After that I headed up to Two Medicine Pass. I hiked it with Jane, Becky and Al a couple weeks ago but we were socked in at the top and had absolutely no visibility. This morning the weather forecast was 70% chance of precipitation so I was racing the clock on the weather. The forest was ablaze with flowers including monkey flower.

From Two Medicine Pass



I kept up a steady pace to the top and beat the rain. There were some awesome views up there. I had hoped to walk the ridge to Painted Tipi peak. However, between the forecast of 45 mph winds and likely rain and being by myself I decided to put that off. It was still a great hike. I watched the rain come in and decided to make tracks out. I got some rain on the way down but the bigger issue was the water from the vegetation soaking my shoes. They are drying now. Hopefully to be good by the morning for my trip up Gunsight pass.

You can check out a map of the trip here

My photos are here or you can see the slideshow below.


No comments: