Friday, July 10, 2009

Waterton Lake National Park (Akamina and Lineham)

Last night I camped at Akamina which is actually a park in British Columbia. I hiked in 2 miles from the Waterton trail head. A funny thing on the way to the campground. I met a couple from Perth. The girl worked in Mullewa last year about an hour away from me. It is a small world.

I was the only one at the campground that I saw. My gear all worked well and it rained so it was a good test. The down side was that I didn't have the cash to pay for the campsite. I had to leave an IOU.

In the morning I hiked out and hiked the Lineham Ridge hike. It was 17.2 km in length and gained 950m in elevation so it wasn't a walk in the park. It started off great when a deer walked right by me as I organised my stuff. The trail was surrounded by wildflowers which helped ease the climb. On the way up I stopped at Lower Rowe lake. It was pretty. I saw three marmots peaking their heads out below a rock. I can't believe it but I got their picture.

From Lineham Ridge Trail


I was extra bear cautious calling out often. I think this scared a group of big horn sheep because I didn't see them on my way out but when I looked back I saw them. I walked back down hill to get a photo. The hike went up, up, up past the tree line through snow and scree but it was worth it. The view from the top was super.

In the morning I am backpacking out to Goat Haunt in the USA (passport needed) and checking out Olson Creek.

View photos here or watch the slideshow below


No comments: