Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Overlander

The Overlander Train from Auckland to National Park was a good form of transportation for me. I like being able to stretch my legs. There was an observation platform that you can go to and look out - no windows. We crossed through some very pretty countryside on the way to National Park - lots of green rolling hills with sheep and cows grazing by streams. See a few photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/kris.olson.au/OverlanderAucklandToNationalPark

I walked to the National Park Backpacker. It was only 800m (uphill) but carrying all my stuff was a strain. When I got to where I thought it was I couldn't find it. I only saw the YHA. Turns out that the YHA and the backpacker are one and the same. I have not seen that before. The surprises don't end there. When I was shown to my room, they took me to the climbing hall. There were several recessed doors in the climbing area.


We went into one of these and that is where my room was. Very strange ! However, the place has excellent views of Mt Ruapehu. and Mt. Ngauruhoe (Mt Doom). It was clear when I arrived and both were visible.

I checked the weather report to help me make a decision as to whether or not to attempt the Tongariro Crossing. The weather report had previously been poor. However, it improved. I decided to try the Crossing. (If the weather looked bad in the AM I could get a full refund.)

For dinner I found a place that severed a pumpkin (squash) and spinach burger. VERY NICE !!

No comments: