Saturday, November 24, 2007

Tongariro Crossing

The weather report this AM was even better so I headed off at 6:15AM to do the Crossing. There was an option to start at 7:15 but since two girls in my room were doing the early bus so did I because I knew they would wake me anyway. The bus left a little late much to the disdain of a German guy. I was a bit worried that he and the late Brit were going to come to blows. I don't think the German guy knew or cared that the Brit and his 14 friends were the reason that there was a 6am bus. Normally there is only the 7:15.

The hike was simply amazing. The landscape was constantly changing. There was low alpine scrub, streams, waterfalls, sulfer springs, barren volcanic areas, and rainforest. The hike itself was challenging especially since I am suffering from asthma, cold and allergies. It was 18.5 km and gained something like 700m elevation. However, I took it slow and was generally fine. I met and chatted with several people along the way. However, it was not so crowded. I had several stretches where I was walking alone and didn't see others.

On one of the later (downhill) sections of the hike I came across a woman and a man. The woman was in obvious pain. I inquired about it to see if I could help. They said it was her knee. I offered her some Ibuprofe n but they said they had painkillers. I also offered some duct tape to strap it but they didn't want that either so I went on my way. Later at the Ketetahi Hut (the last major stop - approx 1.5 - 2hr from the end) I saw her being piggybacked down by another guy. Her boyfriend was looking for a hut warden/ ranger. There was none. I told him that there was cell phone reception there (the transport company had told me when I inquired about emergency situations). Long story short - he used his cell phone to have his girl friend evacuated off the mountain by helicopter. Interestingly enough he didn't go with her. He ended up on our bus back to get his campervan and meet her in Taupo at the hospital.

Photos from the day are at http://picasaweb.google.com/kris.olson.au/NationalParkAndTongariroCrossing

Tomorrow I leave for Wellington. I am planning on doing part of the Fisher Track before I go as my train is not until 1pm.

I may go for that pumpkin spinach burger again tonight.

No comments: