Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Travel to NZ

My trip to New Zealand has started out very well indeed. There was an empty seat on the plane next to me on the longer flight (10 hr) so I had a bit of room to stretch out. Transit in Fiji took FOREVER but once it was my turn there were no issues.

I got a shuttle from the Auckland Airport to the City Garden Lodge where I am staying. The only hitch (which I knew before I arrived) was that the Lodge was closed from 1-4. I arrived around 2:30. I walked around the area to acquaint myself and tried to get used to looking right when crossing the road instead of left. I have to readjust.

I found a ANZ bank here. I have an ANZ account in Australia but they said that if I withdraw money at the ATM I have to pay the International banking withdrawl fee. That seems pretty stupid as I am sure that ANZ stands for Australia New Zealand. Then I went to a Vodaphone store to check out cell phones. You can get a pretty cheap unlocked one but the cost to make a call is 89 cents per minute. Of course, incoming calls are free. I am feeling pretty cheap at the moment so I am going to hold off on buying one until I feel that I have a need for one.

The City Garden Lodge seems quite nice. Tomorrow I am going to make my ongoing travel arrangements and look into going out to a volcanic island for the day on Thursday.

Coughing/ asthma continues to be a problem but has definitely improved over the last week.

Hopefully, the next post will be more interesting.

No comments: