Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Haute Route Day 5 Arolla to La Sage

Due to weather conditions we decided to to an easier later stage hoping the weather would improve. 

Trail had ups and downs but was much easier than some of the other days. We hiked past a brilliant blue lake fed by a waterfall. Then a working milk and cheese farm. Initially it appeared closed. We took a few photos of the buildings. Then an old man came out and we thought that he wanted to show us his establishment. We tried to politely refuse and move on. He then became insistent and started pointing to a sore on his finger. We considered if he needed help but we knew that he was not far from a small village where he could get help. As we moved on with apologies he continues to talk insistently at us. I guess that he wanted money for the photos that we took. I am not sure. 

From there we passed a village and then a beautiful blue lake fed by a waterfall. 



We then walked through Les Haudres and in to La Sage. In La Sage we tried to go to the tourist information center. After walking up the steps of some private home we were politely told that it closed five years ago. 

We then checked out the local shops. It was very small and didn't even carry cold diet coke (or any other cold soft drinks)
I bought a pen and reconfigured the remainder of our itinerary based on our bit of bad weather. I decided to walk tone stage in the opposite direction and take the bus from there to La Sage where we booked a place to stay while we were there.  

From La Sage we walked to Evolene which has the only ATM machine in the region. The first thing we came to was a grocery store. It was quite a nice place with a little of everything. I got some cold diet coke and a few bars to eat on the trail. 

Almost everything else was closed until 1:30.   The door to the bank was closed and locked and we thought it was closed until 1:30.  A nice young guy saw us sitting there and told us the bank was closed for the weekend. I couldn't understand how the only ATM in the region was not accessible on the weekend. Grouchy I moved off down the street. He caught up with us and explained that there is a button to push to open the door to use the ATM. We thanked him and Intold him that I was so happy that I could kiss him. He said I should and when I did on the cheek he told me that in Switzerland it is three kisses so I did. It was embarrassing and funny. 

In the end I got cash out although it seems that my Charles Schwab card isn't working.  

I have been seeing small outdoor oven from time to time. There was one in front of a restaraunt. There was cheese in front of it either to be melted or smoked it I am not sure. 

 Then we went to the pharmacy and I got more ibuprofen. The lady in the shop was so nice. 

As Leah and I waited for the bus we discussed why a metal bar with a circle on the end of it was sticking out of the mountain. The gentleman next to us let us know that it is artwork representing climbing equipment. I am not sure but I think it might be called a piton. 

Our bus journey back to Arolla was uneventful. Once there we saw several people who had preserved in the day before. They had all successful made it with some scraps and bruises. It seems that the trail was pretty difficult with 3 hours of snow walking. I am pretty glad that we made the decision that we did.

Tomorrow the forecast is again rain. I am hiking up to Cabane de Dix. Leah is taking a rest day and avoiding treacherous conditions that I may face. 




No comments: