Thursday, July 7, 2016

Swiftcurrent Lookout




An early morning start and I was off to the top of Swiftcurrent Mountain where there is a fire lookout and an amazing view.  The mountain is the one on the right in the image above and the lookout is at the very, very top.  The climb up to the pass was steep but pretty.  At the pass I had to make a decision - return or hike another 1.5 miles to the lookout.  These last miles would be the steepest.  This trail is 16 miles and 3400 ft elevation gain (absolute not accumulated) I looked at the weather (some dark clouds) and decided to chance it.  It was a steep climb up through a burned dwarf forest and then I was above the treeline.  It was so very windy.  The lookout sits atop the mountain and it tied down with cables to ensure that it doesn't blow off the mountain.  It is very tiny and has prayer flags whipping in the wind from it.  I took a few quick photos of the Swiftcurrent Valley and the surrounding mountains.  There was an incredible 360 degree view.  Then I was quite chilled and headed down.

I met a young guy who is hiking the Continental Divide Trail.  He had already done the PCT and the AT.  He was pretty interesting.  He had met a grizzly photographer on the mountain earlier in the day.  It must be nice to be able to hike all those long trails.  I would like to do that someday.  I might be 70 by the time that I have the time and resources.   I hope that I would be physically able to do it then.

No comments: