Friday, July 29, 2016

Haute Route Day 9 and 10


Leaving Cabane de Moiry was slightly sad as it was so beautiful. We had thought that we would start a little later but a number of early risers woke us and we headed out early.  The light on the glacier was very pretty and so was the lake below the glacier.  Leah did not enjoy the trip out any more than the trip in but the rest of the day did not have challenging footing. We did,however, miss a turn and walked all the way down to the lake parking lot.  We then took a trail that we didn't know and gambled that it would intersect with the trail that we needed. The gamble paid off. 

We walked above Lac Moiry which was a stunning shade of turquoise.   We saw a family of chamois. I think I finally got a few good shots on my camera. Then we hiked up and over Col de Sorebois. We had some nice views but it was cloudy so the views could have been better. 

We walked down to the cable car and caught a few ride down to Zinal courtesy of a card given to us by the cabane. 

We had a fun dinner and drinks with some trail friends and headed to bed.

The next morning there was a mixup. Leah had put her clothes in the drying room. She was worried that the room was locked. I suggested she go check. Then I went to the bathroom. She texted to ask if I was checking. I said no bathroom. She took this to mean her clothes were locked up. She told me to go ahead and she would catch me later.   (We didn't figure this out until she arrived in Gruben)

My walk to the Hotel Weisshorn was great. It was cool and the masses were not yet out. I scared a family of chamois which took off down the mountainside. 

The hotel was old and historic. I had a soda and did a bit of Internet. Then I headed over the Medipass. The view there was phenomenal. 

The walk down was pretty but one of the guys that I was with twisted his ankle twice. I am beginning to think that I am a jinx.  



We all made it to Gruben and stayed in a hotel there. We had dinner with all the people we had met over the last week or two that were also at the hotel (the only one in Gruben) 

The Haute Route is drawing to a close. I am sad to see it end and know that I must return to reality 




No comments: