Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Scenic Point, Ptarmigan Tunnel and Iceberg Lake



Returning to Glacier National Park is like coming home.  Not only is my very good friend, Jane, here but also many friends at Brownies and in the Park.  It seems to have been a very strange snow year here.  There is no snow is some places where there has been snow in other years and other places are closed due to too much snow.

I drove in to dark, dark clouds so I amended my Plan B (Plan A was to hike down to Hidden Lake which was closed).  Plan B was to hike up to Triple Divide.  It is a long walk in before you start climbing.  I didn't want to risk a long walk out in the rain.  I detoured to Scenic Point - an old standby.  Since you can get cell service from the top, I called Jane and let her know that I was in town.  She jumped in her car and met me on my hike down.  We stopped by the campground and saw another hiking friend.  Then I headed off to Running Eagle Falls.

Today I hiked up to Ptarmigan Tunnel.  It wasn't open but I still had some great views.  I tacked on several extra miles by also taking the trail to Iceberg Lake.  The lake was mostly frozen but was still pretty.  The color was magic.

There were tons of wild flowers out including lots of bear grass blooms.  It was a great day.

No comments: