Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Haute Route Day 6 Cabane de Dix



I hiked solo today. Leah considered the risk factor to high.  The weather seemed to have turned overnight and the day was chilly and clear. I hiked up past the Taijiore Nouve Glacier. The views were great. I caught sight of an ibex running over a hill they sure are photo shy. 

I climbed up Pas Chèvre and then down the notorious ladders. These have been improved and were no great problem. Past there I picked my way along a sketchy trail which often had a chain to hold on to. At one spot only half of one foot fit on the trail. I was nervous but all was well. I picked my way over boulders and scree - some icy. Then as I aproached the glacier I bumped into a couple of my friends from Cabane du Mont Fort- Elisa and Jim from Seattle. I was so glad to see them. It turns out that they went down to Louvie Hut and then walked down to the valley. They took a bus to The dam at the end it the lake and hike up to the Cabane Dix (my destination today).  They gave me info on crossing the at times slippery Glacier and I gave them advice on heading to Arolla. 

I also told them that Leah was still in Arolla at the same hotel they had booked and suggested they stop by and say high.  Then I slid and picked my way across the glacier and followed the orange painted rocks to the Cabane Dix

As I travelled I heard the glacier cracking which was amazing. The hut is placed atop a big hill across from the glacier. I don't think I have ever seen such a nice view. The people in the hut are very nice and I got a bottom bunk. 

I bumped into someone else that I had met on the trail and we traded war stories over lunch. Then he he headed off and I washed some clothes. 

I hiked up to a big hill above the hut and took some photos. While there I spotted the top of the Matterhorn in between the clouds. 






No comments: