Friday, July 13, 2018

July 12 Lake 69

The day started super early. I was up at 4am. Things ran smoothly. Humberto, the guest house owner, walked me to the bus stop and I was picked up by a small bus and then transferred to a large bus. We drove around and picked up people and then headed out. There was a breakfast stop which was good to be able to use the bathroom. 

We then went up to Llanganuco which has the most beautiful turquoise color. It was a photo stop only. Then a bit more driving up to the trailhead past another pretty lake (no stop)

At the trailhead we got a talk about not pooping on the trail. It is illegal. The guide said he would post a YouTube video of offenders. 

The hike started out very mellow and then geared up to switchbacks. There were huge waterfalls that could be viewed when panting for breath due to the thin air. Next we walked through a high valley with a couple of small tarns. Next came some killer steep switchbacks. I had to stop to catch my breath many many times.   That was no surprise because the lake was at 15000 feet. Oh my

Lake 69 was also a beautiful color of blue.  As fate would have it I met up with Fabian and Jimmy there. I took a bunch of photos and hung out for a bit.  I met a German guy and we talked about hiking in Germany and the Dream Way Hike that I did last year. 

I took it easy on the down hill. My head hurt a bit - probably a touch of altitude sickness. 

We left late because some people got back late but but still arrived in Huaraz before I expected. I tried to find the vegetarian place that I went to the other day but I think it was closed. I randomly walked into a restaurant that posts its menu daily. In my poor Spanish I explained that I needed a vegetarian meal. They made me a veggie dish from eggs. It was quite good. I  going back tomorrow. 

My hands were cold today despite the fact that I had gloves. I love those gloves because I can still use my phone while wearing them. Back in town I bought some ALPACA gloves for about $3. Awesome 


Tomorrow a fellow Huayhuash hiker and I are going to hike Lake Chirup 

No comments: