Thursday, July 12, 2018

Lake Rajulcolta

July 10 Lake Rajulcolta
Today Fabian, his new friend Jimmy and I took a 4WD truck to the trailhead for our hike. 

The scenery was really lovely as we drove up through an ancient glacial valley. It was lined with small farms. The road was very sketchy so I was glad that we were in the 4WD.   I had to cover my eyes as dogs ran in front of the truck. I was sure we would hit one but it didn’t appear to occur. We also saw horses, sheep, chickens and cows along the way. 

The driver let us off at the gate.  We walked up a mellow trail to the lake. That might seem easy but the lake was at 13800 ft so there were times that I felt a little out of breath. The hike was about 10 miles. 

Jimmy found the hike to be pretty challenging. Later I found out that his bus only arrived that morning at 6am. Also he was carrying his laptop in his backpack. Since he didnt have a chance to get food Fabian and I shared with him. 

The lake overlooked by Glacier was so pretty. It was a really great hike.  We only saw one mountaineering camp and four day hikers. 

Tomorrow I head to Laguna 69 which promises to be a challenge. The agency could arrange it because there was some problem with the early morning pickup. (They have the same problem the day of the Huayhuash but I am going to walk to their office) 

I haven’t gotten a meal today but I am hoping to find something without much hassle. 


I bought my bus ticket to Lima for the flight home and got seat #1

No comments: