Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Laguna Wilcacocha

Peru July 9 Acclimatization hike to Laguna Wilcacocha

A fellow Huayhuash trekker names Fabian and I decided to hike together to Lake Wilcacocha. We met at 9am at the central market and took a collectivo to the hike trailhead.  It was a steep hike up a wide track. It wasn’t marked but you could always hike up the road if you didn’t know how to go. I downloaded the map on Gaia and we were able to navigate up with no problem. 

Along the way we saw example is mud brick homes and small agricultural plots. There were expansive views to the valley and the snow capped mountains peaked out from time to time 

The lake was rather small but very pretty. I got some amazing reflection shots of the lake and the clouds. We walked around the lake and saw some rather startling things. The first was when loud music played at one of the jutting rock view points and people appeared to be dancing. Turns out they were filming a music video. 

We walked around the lake viewing the bird life. There were coots there and another long beaked bird that I didn’t recognize. Then the strangest thing we saw folks carrying a large inflatable boat up the path. They launched it and went i the lake which wasn’t bigger than a pond.  

Fabian and I walked down and caught a collectivo back to Huaraz.  From there we found a vegetarian place to eat. I got a cheese omelette.  Fabian got a three course meal for the same price but it was chicken. 

From there we went to the tour agency and I paid my balance.  We also booked a tour for tomorrow to Lake Rajucolta. The road there is very bad so we need to go in some type of four wheel drive. When we called it was booked but found another. However this guy wanted to charge more so the agency said we could go in a taxi but we might need to get out and push it at some places.   We decided to go for that but then the 4 wheel guy said there is  a spot that is impassable because we need to go straight up so we paid the higher price. It wasn’t that much. We got the driver for the day for 220 soles. That is about $70 of which I paid half. 

We went our separate ways after that. I was feeling kinda of headachy. Maybe from the altitude so I took a nap and some ibuprofen. I felt better when I woke up. I found a great piece of pie but no vegetarian food so I ate French fries for dinner. On the way back to the hostel I found a likely place for tomorrow. 

I also need to get my bus ticket to go back to Lima. I want to be sure to get one of those front seats. I will do that tomorrow when we get back 



No comments: