Thursday, July 26, 2018

July 15 Mitucacha


We woke at 6 am and drank Coca tea. As I don’t really like any hot drinks I didn’t really care for it but tried to drink a little to help with the acclimatization.  We packed our stuff and at breakfast (granola, yogurt and bread). 

Then we set off towards the Cacanan Pass. It was a grind. The pass is at 4700m. According to the gps on my phone we were at 15300 ft. That is pretty darn high. One the way up we saw an animal that is a member of the rodent family that looks like a cross between a rabbit and a tree squirrel. 

As we descended the guide took us off the main route and over a couple of saddles to get some amazing views of Ninashanca and Jirishanca (the humming bird mountains) and Lake Mitucacha. The views were amazing and apparently it’s just the start. 

We saw several condors flying overhead.  We also saw small raptors called Cara Cara. At the same I saw an ibis like bird. Apparently it has been not seen in this area for a long time but a couple have returned this year. Later in the day I did see a Puna Ibis and an Andean Goose. 

I have a headache from the altitude. I think it will improve as we are lower now. 


I took ibuprofen and took a nap and things improved. Our amazing guide, Ricardo, fixed my sleeping bag zipper by swapping the none working top zipper with working bottom zipper. 


At dinner I swapped out a lot of my food. It has become a bit of a joke.  It turns out that they brought a whole bunch of avocados for me which I don’t like but my hiking mates are thrilled. 

No comments: