Monday, July 30, 2018

July 17 Huayhuash ​

July 17 Huayhuash

We rose early to catch the sunrise reflected in the mountains and the lake. Much to everyone’s disappointment it was a cloudy morning and no sunrise happened.

We left camp and hiked individually or in pairs along the lake. While walking I heard and saw a avalanche on Suila Grande. I also saw two viscacha
which are like a rabbit and squirrel cross.

We hiked up the edge of a lateral moraine to view the a beautiful called Lake Suila with chucks os ice floating in it. It came an avalanche like the one that I saw - maybe the one that I saw.
From there we started our hike up the pass. It was grueling but we had some great views of glaciers and beautiful lakes. We stopped at a vista point and took some amazing photos. We saw an amazing avalanche that made a waterfall of ice down the steep mountain.



I thought we were almost there but we had another hour to the pass. It was a slog. I was the fourth in our group to arrive and I passed someone not from our group on the way up. Not too bad ! The pass was 15700ft.

Our chef hiked with us carrying our lunch and metal dishes and utensils and a thermos of coca tea. Even weighed down he hike fast and made the pass look easy. We had fried rice for lunch. It was good.

We descended the pass and went by lakes and glaciers to arrive at our camp in a place called Huayhuash. We are sleeping even higher tonight above 14000ft.
At this point you may be wondering about cleanliness. We get a bucket of hot water to wash each day. It is a bit tricky because we are sharing a tent and you don’t want to get water in your tent anyway. I am doing my best

No comments: