Sunday, July 29, 2018

July 16 Carhuacocha Lake ​

July 16 Carhuacocha Lake
Woke up to a beautiful sunrise. The sun lit up the face of the mountain. Tomorrow we will have sunrise and mountain and lake = magnificent. I surprised everyone and ate all my breakfast and most of my lunch. In fact instead of giving food away I took someone’s extra chocolate covered raisins.
Today we climbed up to a pas that was 15500 ft. It was off the traditional route but offerred amazing views of several peaks including Suila Grande (featured in Touching the Void) and Yerupaja (Peru’s second highest peak). We laughed so hard as we took panoramic photos with iPhones with ourselves at the start and then running and getting in the part of the photo as well.



We then went over a scree field and up and over another saddle giving us amazing views of three turquoise lakes. Grangrajanca, Suila and Quesillococha. We will be going by these lakes and tomorrow.

The views were amazing and the hiking group is amazing. They are all super fit. It is an adjustment for me to not be one of the strongest. I am in the middle. One of the women is struggling a bit with altitude sickness but making it. She was feeling discouraged but I said pat yourself on the back. How many people do you know back home that can climb to over 15000 ft?
Today I learned that diarrhea can be caused by altitude sickness. I had a bought before we left and it struck again today. Luckily I made it to a toilet (squat toilet). When we got back to camp our amazing guide gave me his secret remedy -coke. We will see if that works. I have Imodium if not
There are some interesting birds around the lake. I tried to get some photos of the ibis.
A fellow trekker and I did a little walk around before dinner. We met a couple of local women. They asked us if we wanted to buy a beer. We learned later that their husbands are donkey drivers.

Dinner was quinoa soup and spaghetti. It was yummy and I had no bathroom issues afterwards so I guess that is a good use for coke

No comments: