Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Travel to Huaraz

Peru July 9 Travel to Huaraz
After several hours of sleep and a shower I catch a taxi to the bus station to take a luxury bus to Huaraz. The seats are supposed to be like first class airline capsules. I hope to catch up on any lost sleep there. It is a 7-8 hour trip to Huaraz. 

Adventures at the bus station 
  1. I went to the ticket booth instead of the departure area 
  2. I tried to enter the arrival area instead of the departure area
  3. I didn’t realize they wanted more money to enter the departure area. 
  4. I couldn’t find the departure platform because it was a VIP lounge 
  5. I think I was supposed to check my large bag but they checked it at the gate 

However there was a soda machine that sold some form of Diet Coke in the VIP lounge.  I needed to show my passport when boarding and that went right over my head. A few notes about the bus are below


  1. My day pack didn’t fit well but I can use the other little one that I brought next time
  2. The bus had working usb charging ports (the plane did not)
  3. The bus had a working touch screen with movies and books. Unfortunately all in Spanish but impressive none the less
  4. I think there is supposed to be working WiFi but that doesn’t seem to be working. However I have cell service so I can do some things on my phone. 
  5. Blanket (very nice) pillow and headphones provided

One funny thing that happened was that I couldn’t get to the bathroom. I couldn’t open the door out of our “cabin”. I had push the call button for the attendant who was on the second floor of the bus. He then showed me where the bathroom was. I am not sure if others had had the same problem but three our four people went right after me.  

For myself and everyone else who may take a VIP bus if you are long legged the front seats would be the best. I am going for that on the way back 




My guesthouse  was waiting for me at the bus stop which was great. They had a sign with my name. The place is on the edge of town but the people are super nice and it’s very clean. 

I met up with someone else on my trek for dinner and we organized a shirt acclimatization hike for tomorrow. 


The town is at 10000 ft and I could feel it tonight or I might just be tired from travel  

Sorry but images just don’t seem to be working from my phone

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What is a "shirt acclimatization hike"? To see how much your shirt sticks to your body in the humidity?