Sunday, December 9, 2007

Greymouth to Fox Glacier

I took at 7:30 AM bus to Fox Glacier. The scenery continued to be great on the way down the west coast. I arrived at Fox just before 11AM.

I went up on a helicopter hike onto the glacier at 3PM. The flight was amazing and scary and kind of nauseating. Once up there we put on mini crampons and walked around on the glacier and through ice caves. It was a really good experience but expensive.

When I got back to the hostel I rented a bike and rode out the Lake Matheson. There I did a walk aroud the lake and took a few photos of the mountains. There were views of Mt Tasman (site of Fox Glacier) and Mt Cook.

You can check out some of the photos here.

I have decided not to do the hike up to Welcome Flat hot springs due to transportation, weather and other little issues. I am off to Wanaka next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very very cool!! It always amazes me how blue the ice is.