Saturday, December 15, 2007

Queenstown - Ben Lomond Hike

Feeling energetic I set off on a hike this morning. I decided to hike up to the Ben Lomond saddle or summit depending on how I felt when I got to the saddle.

The hike was uphill all the way but had great views of Lake Wakatipu which surrounds Queenstown. I had a snack on the way up in a bit of tree cover with paragliders circling over my head. It was pretty amazing. I have to say of all the adrenaline activities there are here that would be one that I could possibly consider because I think that you would have such great views for an extended period of time. All of the rest seem to be over far to quickly.

I hiked up farther and had lunch on a rock close to the saddle overlooking the Lake. It was decision time. Do I go for the summit or head back down? I still had energy but the trail up looked pretty steep. I decided to go for it and eventually made it to the top. In fact I did pass a few people on the way but a few also passed me. The views from the top were spectacular.

I cheated on the way down and took the Gondola the last section. They don't check tickets on the downward voyage so I did it for FREE which I always like.

The hike was 10 kms but I probably took off 2 or so when I took the Gondola down. Queenstown's elevation is 310m. The elevation at the summit is 1747m. I think you can do the math here to see that it was no walk in the park.

You can check out some of the photos here.

I had a great gelato after the hike. YUMMY!

No comments: