Sunday, July 2, 2017

California Redwoods

Its the middle of summer and I headed out to Purisma Creek Redwood Preaerve for a hike this morning. When I got there I thought that I must have teleported to the Pacific Nothwest. It was cold and rainy. Well it is the rainforest I guess so I shouldnt have felt surprised. I did have a rainjacket but I was wearing shorts. About a half mile down the trail I was freezing. I walked a ways back up and then went back down. I wanted to hike but I was pretty cold. I did this a couple if times and then made my mind io to go for it.

It was well worth it. The forest had a spooky feel and there were few people due to the poor weather

What there were many of were banana slugs. The banana slug is the UC Santa Cruz mascot where a coupke of my students are heading next year. There were big banana slugs and small ones. Maybe I just missed the slug reproduction cycle because I have never seen those little ones before

I hikes from the North Entrance to the West Entrance to the East Entrance and then back to the start. It was about 13 miles and just over 3000 ft elevation gain. Now on to packing my bags for my trip to Germany

No comments: