Thursday, July 6, 2017

Day 2 Travels to Bad Tolz


I left Wolf Town walking first over streets and then along a canal. This spit me out on a cycle trail and then on to a suburban street. I knew that I needed to turn into the forest and when I saw a bunch of parked cars I figures that I had the right place but no trailhead was obvious. Looking up I realized that a woman was talking to me and gesturing back up the road. I walked back the way I came but still saw no trail. She kept indicating into the forest. I think I missed her trail but I found another. Walking through I saw remants of WWII (or Cold War?) like the one shown below
The trail wove through the forest and along the river branching unmarked many times. I have no idea how I would have navigated it with Gaia (thanks Leah Carter) and the gpx file.
There were lots of flowers and butterflies along the way. The river was very pretty. Eventually I got to a place where I couldn't figure out where to go. I went straight. That didnt seem right. I went left. That didnt seem right. I returned and went straight again. Looking at the trail on Gaia I realized that I was a bit off. I walked in the direction that I knew the trail should be. I saw a trail marker and followed it. It took me to one of the most indistinct trails that I have ever been on. Then it dumped me into a farmers field. Thinking that I was in private land and needed to return to the forest I walked up and down but could not pick up a trail. There was a very nice lady doing something with a tractor in the field. She came over and gave me directions. I needed to walk up to the farm houses and walk between them over the electric wire. Sure enough that worked. If I had read the book I would have picked that up.

The next section was pretty straight forward and then I got to another section where I walked one way, decided it was wrong, went back walked another way, decided it was wrong and then walked back and went the original way which went to where I needed to go. I think I was actually supposed to go through the agricultural field but I got to the location that I needed. After a bit more walking I was back at the river which was dammed into a lake. It was a short and pretty walk along it to Bad Tolz.
I arrived hot and tired. I think that I hiked about 19 miles. Below is a statue that I saw alongthe way that reflects how I felt at the end.

I checked into my hotel, showered,washed my sweaty clothes, ate a cherry kuchen and put my feet in the river to cool off. Tomorrow is a big climbing day but fewer miles.

You can see more photos at https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI

No comments: