Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Day 8 Up to Glungezer Hut

There were a few options for today. I could have walked all the way to the hut. That would have been 2400 m (almost 8000ft) elevation gain. I could have taken the bus to the chair lift and then the chair lift. That would have been 575 m (just under 2000 ft) elevation gain. What I did was about 960m( 3000ft) elevation gain. I walked from Hall up to the chair lift. Then took the chair lift and walked up from there.

I left Hall via the castle. I turns out that in 1486 a coin was minted there that was "coined" the first dollar. Forgive the pun.

From there I walked in a variety of trails and roads to to Tulfies. Along the way I met a woman who spoke no English. She was picking rasberries along the trail. She tried to tell ne something about the birds or flying but I have no idea what she said.

I saw a deer along the trail and some adorable sheep. There trails were quite confusing but I ended up in the right place. The gpx file and gaia are invaluble on this hike because when out of the mountains themselves the signage is poor or non-existent.

From Tulfies I took a chairlift up. It was actually two lifts. I got off the normal chair lift and on a one person chair lift. Well I was hesitant to get on. It was an odd looking contraption and I had to manage my large pack. I tried to motion to the attendant that I wanted to wait and watch someone else. However he shut the whole lift down and loaded me on. It didn't go smoothly so maybe that was the best thing. My poles kind of got in the way of the guard bar. I held my pack tightly all the way up. I was able to get off at the top without dropping my pack or tripping over myself.

The view from there was awesome. I could see the mountains that I hiked over and down yesterday. They were shrouded in cloud. It was so beautiful.

I stopped off to continue my apfel strudel tour. It was actually chilly. The waitress asked me where I am from and when I told her she said its cold here. I replied no its nice. I have been walking from Munich and it has been very hot. They were impressed that I am doing the Munich Venice walk and showed me the way to the path.

I wasn't walking long when I noticed Volker in front of me. He had taken the bus and chair lift and must have pased me while I was strudeling.

We walked up to the hut together. I had my first Austrian marmot sighting. Along the way we compared health care in the US and Germany. It is interesting that both countries are struggling with this topic.

We followed a trail and thought we were lost. We didnt see the hut. Then we had to laugh at ourselves as we were standing right next to it. There were bright prayer flags flying next to the hut.

We checked in with a lady and her child from Poland. The host is a jolly soul. He had alot to say about our president and none of it good. That seems to be the general consensus over here. No one seems to hold it against me personally. After checking in he gave us shots of pflaumen (plum) schnaps. Schnaps is a specialty of the region. He wouldnt take no for an answer. It burned going down. Maybe this was punishment for the US presidential choice. How many years ago was it that I drank cold peppermint schnaps? Feels like a lifetime.

The hut hires cooks from Nepal. I spoke to the cook who is from the Everest region. He is here for four months to cook. I asked him if we would have dal baht but sadly no only lentil soup. There was some sherpa soup with momos but they are beef momos. I had lentil soup which seems like the first healthy thing that I have eaten in ages. It came with bread made right here on the mountain. It was delicious. The bread came with Schmalz(lard with bacon?) I didn't touch that.

Later I went for a walk and I saw a Materialseilbahn (material lift) bringing thing up to the hut much like a chair lift for supplies.

I walked up to a nearby peak and it started raining. I came back for my rain jacket but when I went back outside it was pouring so i decided to write my blog instead.

They are playing great music in the hut. All American classics
Photos at https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI

No comments: