Friday, July 28, 2017

Day 23 Travel to Belluno

There were three choices of travel to Belluno. The first was a Via Ferrata route. That posed a few problems including lack of equipment, lack of experience and it was a descent not an ascent making it a more difficult first experience. The second was a trail that was not well marked and in 8 miles went up and then down more than 7000ft. That didn't seem to be a good solo option. The final choice was what I did.

It began with a slight ascent over a ridge and the. A big descent under the towering wallks of the Dolomites. The trail went past pretty waterfalls and gorges but it was bittersweet. I knew as I hjked down that this was the end of my alpine days.



From the bottom there was a bus to take us to Belluno. Vanessa and Mike and I shared a room. It was good to have a nice shower and we did alot of laundry. We visited the supermarket where I was lucky to find a cold diet coke. A question that we askes ourselves on the trail is "Why is diet come called coke light outside the US and Canada"? Inquiring minds would like to know

I had a chance to walk around the old town. I stumbled aross the old and huge door to the old town. There were many old buildings and churches which were interesting to look at. I couldn't find the eacalator that I was supposed to rake the next day but I did find a staircase that would take me down by the river where the trail starts

After I made my way back to the hotel (using Google Maps) we tried to pay our hotel bill. The recptionist said to pay later. She gave us a recommendation for dinnerr. I showed Vanessa and Mike where I had explores and then we went to dinner. At 7pm it was early jn Italy and we were the first people to arrive. We got a great table on the terrace overlooking the river. Dinner for Vanessa and I was an amazing pizza of zuchinni, feta and pesto.

By 8 I was ready to head back to the hotel to pay, pack and hit the sack. It was not to be. After much too and fro I was able to pay the receptionist my share of the room if I paid in cash. (The earlier receptionist said there would be no problem splitting the bill) There was also the problem of getting out. Apparently we were locked is so I had to give her the exact time that I would leave. In the end it was all settled.

Distance 10 km (6 miles)
Elevation up 150m (500ft)
Elevation down 1650m (5000ft)



Photos at https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI



This is is my track for the last seven days
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0ZqguMWq0nIVvMudyEDQOcLFQgoN7hGXc

No comments: