Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Day 7 Down to Hall

Today began with an invigorating hike straight up to a pass where I had my last views of Karwendal NP. Pretty views both ways from the saddle and then down, down, down through an amazing meadow where I saw a larger mammal- maybe a chamois bounding into the trees. The meadows was lush and wet from last nights rain.

I did a quick stop at an old monestary. It is now a place to grab a quick bite to eat but it was closed today.

Below that I walked by an old salt mine. They seem to remove the salt from the rock with water and then pipe the brine down and check purification levels at stations along the way. I am not sure if the mine is still operational but there has been salt mining in that location for over 2600 years.

Friom there I hiked into the historic town of Hall. On the way a kindly gentleman in a car offered me a ride because Hall is "2 km away". Little did he know that I had walked all the way from Munich. What is 2km after that?

Hall is very pretty with lots of old world charm. I ended up getting an apartment for the night. It only cost €54. Since a cheap hotel room costs €49, I consider that a great bargain.

I was able to do a couple of necessary things- like get a new usb charger since I lost the european power attachment for the one I brought with me. I also bought some dried apricots. The diet of kasenspatzle and spinatknudel doesn't seem to have my normal fiber content wreaking havoc on my bodily functions. Also to my utter glee I found some cliff bars and diet coke at the grocery store.

I had dinner with one of my hiking buddies and turns out we are heading in the same direction. (There are a number of variants at this point and a number of people that I had been hiking with split off to do the other variant ) There is another challenging piece of hiking coming up in two days and we are going to tackle it together for safety.

Distance 14 km
Elevation 240 (800ft) m up / 1450 m (4700ft) down

Photos at https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI

No comments: