Saturday, July 8, 2017

Day 4 Travel to Vorderiss

I got an early start as usual. I had purchased a cheeseplate fior breakfast and they put it in the fridge for me overnight. I made a cheese sandwich for breakfast and took the rest with me to eat in the road. The day started with an uphill climb out of the valley back to the ridge. From there I soon descended down, down, down. Towards the bottom there were some beautiful cascades and water falls.

Along the way I was attacked on and off by black biting flies. When I walked into Jachenau, I was initially disapppinted as the gasthof was closed but the owner told me I could go to the shop. I didnt know there was in there. I bought some pretzels and a coke light. I also wanted to get some bug spray. I couldn't find it but I did find some Raid. I took it up to the counter and pretended to spray it on my arm. The lady was appalled and said "no no". I think she thought that I thought that was personal bug spray. I just meant where is the right kind. Well she did show me the right kind. For 8 € I was the proud owner of bug spray. I debated if this was a good thing making my pack heavier. However in the next section of the hike the bugs attacked me with a vengence. I stopped to put spray on and it got worse until I throughly covered myself. These bugs are vicious. Some of then drew blood. Luckily they aren't itchy just painful.

The hike down the hillside to Vorderiss was very dramatic. The River Isar was a brillant blue and it was surrounded by a massive gravel bed

I am not sure what tomorrow will bring. The next step is Karwendalhaus but I don't have a reservation. Vorderriss said I could stay a second night. However Marliss just arrived and said that she has a reservation for me at Karwendalhaus which would be awesome

Vorderriss is my last stop in Germany. I cross the border to Austria when I leave here

The distance today was 18km (approx 11 miles) 710m up and 1279m down. I cant seem to open the Internet to do the calculations to miles and feet.

I still dont have the images thing sorted out but you can see them all at

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI

No comments: