Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Day 15 Into the Dolomites

My journey began by walking past the lager or dorm. Everyone else stayed in the dorm. There was a parade of cows going into the bottom floor of the dorm building to be milked. I am not sure that anyone was sleeping in today.
The trail was confusing at times today. I took a wrong turn but figured it out pretty quickly. The first part of the hike was along the top of a rounded mountain. The views all ways were fantastic.


I hiked up a small peak with a great 360 view of the mountains around. Then on undulating trail which passed a mountain chapel and a small lake (almost a puddle) with a big wooden boat in it to a hut that sits directly opposite the northernmost mountain in the Dolomite chain (Peitlerkofel). I had an orange soda there while I dried my socks and doctored a small blister. From there I headed steeply down into a valley and then back uo the other side. After a bit I came to the Wurzjoch where I fortified myself with an apfel studel
Then I walked down to the next trailhead. There I found a sign indicating that the Dolomites are a UNESCO world heritage site due to the uniqueness of the rock and ecology.

Things are now sometimes listed in three languages - Italian, German and Ladin. Ladin is an ancient Roman language.
There at the trailhead were some creepy statues. I am not sure what that was all about
From there it was an almost 1000 ft climb to the pass. It was afternoon by this point and pretty warm. I sweated my way up to the pass. There I was treated to incredible view if the surrounding mountains. Here the trail joins the the Famous Alta Via trail through the Dolomites

I took the last 30 min very slow. I was just amazed by the views. I eventually arrived at the hut. There I found some unwelcome news they were booked. However, they are going to give us emergency accomodation- mattresses on the floor. All of the Venice hikers seem to be in the same boat. I guess it will be a slumber party. It also turns out that all the next huts are booked.
Distance: 22km (14 miles)
Elevation up: 1370m(4500ft)
Elevation down: 990m (3200ft)
Photos at https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI
This is is my track for the last seven days
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0ZqguMWq0nIVvMudyEDQOcLFQgoN7hGXc

No comments: