Sunday, July 16, 2017

Day 11 Incredible Beauty on the way to Olpererhutte

The weather report was a bit grim- a high chance of rain. As I prepared to leave the weather was okay. There were high clouds but no rain. The views from the hutbwere very nice. I couldn't see anything last night.

From the hut there was a moderate descent. Along the way I saw a super cute black salamander. As I descended I noticed a cloud bank making its way up the valley. I have to say that I worried that this might mean an end ro the views for the day. I worried as I walked but I saw a couple if marmots on my way. The cloud seemed to come and go so my worries were for nought. I hiked up to Spannagelhaus and then the real work began.

The "trail" was mostly red paint on rocks. I was able to find my way without a problem. I needed to cross a couple of snow fields. They were generally flat and didn't worry me. One was a little steep but I crossed it without problem. It was hard not to be distracted by views of the glacier as I ascended.

The views north from the Freisenbergcharte Pass were great. I couldn't see anything south at that point i began the steep descent. There were numerous fixed cables to navigate. I got down but not in a graceful manner. I thought I was done and I took out my poles but there was yet one more fixed cable section. I was navigating it with my poles and I just finished when Volker came down the trail. We decided to visit the Freisenberghaus.

The guide book made it seem like it was a few minute walk to the hut but it was a steep boulder scramble and snow walk. However, the hut was very nice near it was a beautiful lake. Volker and I had a snack and enjoyed the atmosphere. It was freezing when we came out but the extremely steep uphill hike back to the trail nicey warmed me up. By the time we got there the clouds had cleared and had great views. I told Volker to go ahead and I took lots of photos. After a bit I decided to walk to the hut. As I walked a turquoise blue lake came into view with huge glaciated mountains behind it - undoubtly feeding the lake.

I dawdled a bit to long and it started pouring. Then there was a sheep jam on the trail. I thought they were being sheparded by a figure in front if them but she crossed the suspension bridge and left then behind.

After I crossed the suspension bridge I arrived at the Olpererhutte. I like this hut very much. They are nice and the shower is hot

Distance 14km ( 9miles)
Elevation up 1400m ( 4620ft)
Elevation down 800m (2640ft)


Photos at https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI

This is is my track for the last seven days
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0ZqguMWq0nIVvMudyEDQOcLFQgoN7hGXc

No comments: