Friday, July 21, 2017

Day 17 Lots of climbing ending at Rifugio Viel dal Pan

As usual I got an early start. It was great as I was the only one climbing up the Val Setus, a gash in the side of the Sella (the area of the Dolomites I am currently in). It was a steep scree climb and then a scramble up the rock face aided by fixed cables. The guide book describes it as an almost vertical rock face. I don't think it was quite that bad.

Once I had conquered that I walked past a hut situated above a pretty lake called Lago di Pisciadu. There to my disappointment a group if people hopped on the trail right in front of me. After taking lots of photos I soon passed them. I then realised that the climbing had just begun. I climbed up to the highest point on the Traumpfad- the Altipiano delle Meisules. It was a high plateau providing great views from where I came.



I took a break there to savor the moment and got back to it. I descended from
there and along the way saw some intricate rock designs that people had made. A short climb brought me to another hut. I stopped only to check my directions and then walked up to some type of stone marker. I traversed the edge of the mountain and walked by another hut (an lots of people). The most interesting thing about this hut was the outhouse put back that had great views.

I decided not to do the steep descent and instead walked up to the gondola. There were phenomenal views back and forward from the gondola. Back I could see the crazy landscape that I had walked over. Forward I could see the glacier covered Marmolada. The gondola trip down was fun.

The Marmolada is a volcanic moutain with the last surviving glaciers in the Dolomites. This area was the location of very intense fightinf during WWI. Artifacts from the war are being recovered as the glacier retreats due to global warming. The border between Austria and Italy used to run through the Marmolada. It was part of the frontline during the war. An under the ice s city with tunnels was built in the glaciers. More and more Italian seems to be spoken. I think that south of here I won't see or hear any more German

From the base of the gondola I walked up to a ridge that was opposite the Marmolada. I walked along that ridge that had incredible views of where I descended from which looked very far away, views of the north face of the Marmolada with its glaciers and views of the very pretty Lago di Fedaia.

Soom I arrived at my hut for the night. It has fantastic views. The name of the hut is Viel dal Pan. Google translate doesn't tell me what that means

Distance: 14.2 km
Elevation up: 1500 (5000ft)
Elevation down: 240m (800m)


Photos at https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0q532ODWVPkrI

This is is my track for the last seven days
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0ZqguMWq0nIVvMudyEDQOcLFQgoN7hGXc

No comments: